Sunday, November 29, 2009

An admin note

This may not be news to anyone who has blogged, but it seems to take a fair amount of effort, discipline and technical skill to produce a good blog.  As Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart said about something completely different, you know a good blog when you see it.  And like so many other things, looking good often looks desceptively easy...

I'm pretty low on the experience curve right now, but over time I want to include links, graphics, maybe even sound and video clips... If economists and statisticians can do it, a soldier should be able to do it, too!

At the same time, this blog is not intended to be an end in itself.  No one who knows me will ever deny that I express my thoughts as clearly and forcefully as I can, but just spouting off my views into the digital cosmos has no real significance.  Not even if readers throng to the site and praise my brilliance (some kind of mass psychosis, that would be!).

Instead, this blog is intended more as a mechanism to let me formulate my thoughts for publication as a single work -- a book to be generated from the blog, as it were.  And the book is intended to provide readers with a structure for understanding problems and determining action, a structure that I don't see in place anywhere out there but possessing strengths that should prove self-evident (and not rely on the non-existant public standing of its author).

If that ever happens in any significant measure, then it is possible that someone with an obsessive-compulsive need to research irrelevant history may wind up reading this post.  To that person, I hope you get some satisfaction out of reading this, and that it completes whatever picture you've created.  If it is attractive, cool!  If not, well, just keep it honest and you'll get no criticism from me.

Zum wohle!

No comments:

Post a Comment